Acne is one of the most common skin conditions in the world, affecting an estimated 85%of people at some point in their lives. Acne starts when the pores in your skin get clogged with oil and dead skin cells. Each pore is connected to sebaceous gland, which produces an oily substance called sebum. Extra sebum can plug up pores, causing the growth of a bacteria known as Propionibacterium acnes or P. acnes.
Here are some home remedies for acne which you can apply to reduce acne.
1. Apply Apple Cider Vinegar :- Apple cider vinegar is made by fermenting apple cider, or the unfiltered juice from pressed apples. It fights with many types of bacteria and viruses as it contains several organic acids which kills acnes.
How To Use It :-
a. Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar and 3 parts water.
b. After cleansing, gently apply the mixture to the skin using a cotton ball.
c. Let sit for 5-20 seconds, rinse with water and pat dry.
d. Repeat this process 1-2 times per day, as needed.
Note :- Apple cider vinegar may cause burns and irritation, so it should always be used in small amounts and diluted with water.
2. Zinc Supplement :- Zinc is an essential nutrient that’s important for cell growth, hormone, production, metabolism and immune function. Zinc orally helps reduce acne, zinc oxide contains the highest amount of elemental zinc at 80%. The recommended limit of zinc is 40 mg per day, so it is probably best not to exceed that amount unless under the supervision of a medical doctor.Taking too uch zinc may cause adverse effects, including stomach pain and gut irritation.
3. Make a Honey and Cinnamon Mask :- Both honey and cinnamon are excellent sources of antioxidants. Antioxidants to the skin is more effective at reducing acne than benzoyl peroxide and retinoids. Both honey and cinnamon have antibacterial properties, and the antioxidants are Vitamin B3, linoleic fatty acid and sodium ascrobyl phosphate, which is a vitamin C derivative.
Hoe to make it –
a. Mix 2 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together to form a paste.
b. After cleansing, apply the mask to your face and leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
c. Rinse the mask off completely and pat your face dry.
4. Spot Treat With Tea Tree Oil :- Tea tree oil is an essential oil that is extracted frm the leaves of Melaleuca Alternifolia, a small tree native t Australia. It is well known for its ability to fight bacteria and reduce skin inflammation. Tea tree oil gives a cool feel to your skin and is very potent, so always dilute it before applying it to your skin.
How to use it :-
1. Mix 1 part tea tree oil with 9 parts water.
2. Dip a cotton swab into the mixture and apply it to affected areas.
3. Apply moisture if desired.
4. Repeat this process 1-2 times per day, as needed.
5. Apply Green Tea to your Skin :- Green tea is very high in antioxidants, and drinking it can promote good health. Applying green tea on your face will give you a major relief from acne. The major antioxidant in green tea – epigallocatechin-3-gallate which reduces sebum production, fight inflammation and inhibit the growth of P. acnes in individual with acne – prone skin.
How to use it –
1. Steep green tea in boiling water for 3-4 minutes.
2. Allow tea to cool.
3. Using a cotton ball, apply tea to skin or poue into a spray bottle to spritz on.
4. Allow to dry, then rinse with water and pat dry.
** You can also add the remaining tea leaves to honey and make a mask.**